Educational Advocacy & Consulting
Launching Students Towards Success
Meet Nicole C. Shelton, J.D.
With over 20 years experience in the field of education as a teacher and administrator, Nicole has what it takes to launch your student toward success.
After spending time as a special education teacher, nonpublic school director and program developer, Nicole decided to take her passion for educational and mental health advocacy into the private sector. Founding Shelton Consulting in 2011, Nicole served as an educational consultant and special education advocate by providing collaborative support to families while traveling nationwide to visit therapeutic programs.
Experience You Can Trust
In 2016, Nicole returned to the public school system to bring fresh perspective to school districts based on her first-hand knowledge of the family’s experience with special education advocacy . She served for three years as a district-level administrator before realizing her heart was with families.
In 2020, Nicole returned to educational advocacy, serving as the Executive Director of Advocacy Associates Inc. prior to making the decision to create her own educational advocacy and consulting firm: Advocacy for Students with Disabilities.
Nicole’s passion and drive to provide robust service offerings to families, while making the services more financially accessible led her to found AdvocacySD. The organization is a private advocacy and educational consulting practice, serving families of students with special needs and mental health challenges. Nicole is an active member of the special education community and participates in legislative advocacy to support parity in mental health.
Nicole provides nationwide collaborative support to families to help their student or young adult launch to success.
- J.D., Concord Law School
- M.S. Educational Administration, National University
- M.Ed. Special Education, University of San Diego
- B.A. Psychology, University of San Diego
- Council of Parent Advocates and Attorneys
(Member, Government Relations Committee & Amicus Committee)
- National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs
(Member, Government Relations Committee)
- International Dyslexia Association
- Clear Administrative Services
- Clear Education Specialist, Mild/Moderate
- Clear Multiple Subject
- Behavior Intervention Case Manager
- Executive Director, Advocacy Associates Inc.
- Special Education Coordinator
- Parent Advocate/Educational Consultant, Shelton Consulting
- National Director of Community Education and Transition
- NPS Director
- Support Services Coordinator
- Lead Course Developer/Instructor, 2013-2016
- Core Adjunct Faculty, 2003-2011
- Resource Specialist, 1999-2002, 2006-2011
- 2021 Gap Year Association Counselors Institute